Members I'm sure you have your own story. Why not share
it with the rest of us as Bill Adams has done ? Your memories
are important.
Please share them. Don't worry about
grammar and spelling it will be taken care of prior to posting
our site.
Feb.1st, 1946
We left Guantanamo this afternoon, headed for Brooklyn Navy Yard ( scuttle butt
was almost right ) for minor repairs and some adjustments on some of our
equipment.  The weather was clear and sea was calm.

Feb. 3rd
About 1200 today we ran into a storm.  As the day went on the storm got worst, it
was bouncing us around like a little cork on the water.  The waves started getting
bigger and bigger as the day went on,  I went to the Bridge as part of my security
watch.  We would go over one wave and under two, at this time the waves were
coming up over the Bridge.  The combination of us going under the waves and the
height of same made them seem much larger,  Our Bridge is fifty five feet above
mean water line.

Feb. 4th
About 0255 the waves took our jackstaff down on the bow and ripped the life rails
off along with some of the stanchions both starboard and port sides all the way back
to the splash wall at the base of the superstructure, took our #1 five inch gun mount
and twisted it around about 20 degrees.  With this I went below to the first platform
below the gun mount to check for any possible damage.  I found that the main beam
was cracked between the structural frames #30 and #35.  I called the bridge to
inform the Captain, then went below to the mess hall and got my crew together, no
one was able to sleep through all this.  We started to shore up the beam and the
surrounding areas, it was a little tough at times because every time you drove a
wedge they would bounce out due to the vibrations, but we made it.  About 0430
the Skipper stopped down to see how we were doing.

Feb. 5th
We finished up about 0830, secured the job and reported the same to the Skipper.  
We finally ran out of the storm about 1600, this storm reminded me of some of the
storms we encountered when we were aboard the USS Henry Clay in the Asiatic
Pacific.  At day break this morning we passed Sandy Hook Lighthouse and entered
Lower New York Bay and proceeded directly to the Naval Ammunition Depot in
Earl, New Jersey.  The crew started unloading all the ammunition, depth charges and
the torpedoes we had on board so that we could go into the Brooklyn Navy Yard for
the repairs.

Feb. 7th
Left NAD, Early for the Brooklyn Navy Yard, arrived this afternoon and we were
given a berth near the repair shops.

Feb. 7th
Met the Yard Superintendent and showed him all the damages on the main deck,
then took him below to the first platform and showed him the damage under the #1
mount.  The yard workers came aboard this afternoon and started all the repairs.  
The first thing they did was to remove the #1 mount and place it on a trailer waiting
and took it to the repair shop, then removed all our shoring and repaired the main
beam, then all the life rails.

Feb 27th  
All repairs have now been completed.  The yard Superintendent, the Skipper and I
inspected all work,  the #1 gun mount was reset,  bolted down and tested, everything
worked perfectly and approved by the Captain.  We are now ready to set sail again.
Bill Adams said, "I just copied the pages that were in my daily log book that I
started when I went to Boot Camp in Newport, Rhode Island and maintained until
discharged at Lido Beach Long Island."
Thanks Bob Wortman for your story !
On my car, I have licence plate brackets that say "U.S. NAVY".

About 5 years ago, I pulled up at the local pharmacy to have a couple of
prescriptions refilled. As I got out of my car to go in, a car pulled into the
space behind my car. When the driver got out of his car, he hollered at me.
When I turned around and asked what was wrong. He told me nothing was
wrong. The he told me his story and swears it's true.

During the Vietnam War, he was a Marine, forward artillery observer and his
outfit was surrounded and being cut down. He called for fire support and was
told the only thing available was a Navy Destroyer. It was called in and
started firing when they were about a mile out. When told they were too
short, they moved in to about 2 blocks of the shore. They were taking rifle
fire from the beach while they proceeded to help the GI's. They shut down
the rifle fire from the beach with their smaller guns.

The Marine never met the Captain or new the ship's name. All he knew was
it was a Tin Can. He personally thanks everyone he meets that served on a
Tin Can hoping to hit the right person who provided the fire cover and saved
his life.
Look here for other stories by our members. It will continue as their
stories come in.