|Every time I start missing old "haze gray and underway", I go through
this list. Author Unknown.
1. Buy a steel dumpster, paint it gray inside and out, and live in it for six months.
2. Run all the pipes and wires in your house exposed on the walls.
3. Repaint your entire house every six months.
4. Renovate your bathroom. Build a wall across the middle of the bath tub and move the shower head
to chest level. When you take showers, make sure you turn off the water while you soap down.
5. Put lube oil in your dehumidifier and set it on high.
6. Once a week, blow compressed air up your chimney, making sure the wind caries the soot onto
your neighbors house. Ignore his complaints.
7. Once a month, take all major appliances apart and then reassemble them.
8. Raise the thresholds and lower the headers of your front and back doors so that you either trip or
bang your head every time you pass through them.
9. Disassemble and inspect your lawnmower every week.
10. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, turn your water heater temperature up to 200 degrees.
On Tuesdays and Thursdays, turn the water heater off. On Saturdays and Sundays tell your family
they use too much water during the week, so no bathing will be allowed.
11. Raise your bed to within 10 inches of the ceiling, so you can't turn over without getting out and
then getting back in.
12. Sleep on the shelf in your closet. Replace the closet door with a curtain. Have your spouse whip
open the curtain about 3 hours after you go to sleep, shine a flashlight in your eyes and say "Sorry,
13. Make your family qualify to operate each appliance in your house. *Dishwasher Operator,
Blender Technician, et cetera.
14. Have your neighbor come over each day at 5 am, blow a whistle so loud Helen Keller could hear
it, and shout "Reveille, reveille, up all hands, heave out and trice up".
15. Have your mother-in-law write down everything down she's going to do the following day, then
have her make you stand in your back yard while she reads it to you.
16. Submit a request chit to your father-in-law requesting permission to leave your house before 3pm.
17. Empty all the garbage bins in your house and sweep the driveway three times a day, weather it
needs it or not. "Now sweepers, sweepers man your brooms, give the ship a clean sweep down fore
and aft, empty all trash cans over the fantail".
18. Have your neighbor collect your mail for a month, read your magazines and randomly lose every
5th item before delivering it to you.
19. Watch no TV except for movies played in the middle of the night. Have your family vote which
movie to watch, then show a different one.
20. When your children are in bed, run into their room with a megaphone shouting that your home is
under attack and ordering them to their battle stations. "Now general quarters, general
quarters, general quarters, all hands man your battle stations".
21. Make your family menu a week ahead of time without consulting the pantry or refrigerator.
22. Post a menu on the kitchen door informing your family that they are having steak for dinner. Then
make them wait in line for an hour. When they finally get to the kitchen, tell them your out of steak, but
they can have dried ham or hot dogs. Repeat daily until they ignore the menu and just ask for hot dogs.
23. Bake a cake. Prop up one side of the pan so the cake bakes unevenly. Spread icing real thick to level
24. Get up every night around midnight and have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on stale bread.
25. Set your alarm clock to go off at random during the night. At the alarm, jump up and dress as fast
as you can, making sure to button your top shirt button and tuck your pants into your socks. Run out
into the backyard and uncoil the garden hose.
26. Every week or so, throw your cat or dog into the pool and shout "Man overboard port side". Rate
your family members on how fast they respond.
27. Put the headphones from your stereo on your head, but don't plug them in. Hang a paper cup on a
string around your neck on a string. Stand in front of the stove, and speak into the paper cup "Stove
manned and ready". After an hour or so, speak into the cup again, "Stove secured". Roll up the
headphones and paper cup and stow them in a shoe box.
28. Place a podium at the end of your driveway. Have your family stand watches at the podium, rotating
at 4 hour intervals. This is best done when the weather is worst. January is a good time.
29. When a thunderstorm is in your area, get a wobbly rocking chair, sit in it and rock as hard as you
can until you become nauseous. Make sure to have a supply of stale crackers in your shirt pocket.
30. For former engineers: Bring your lawnmower into the living room, and run it all day long.
31. Make coffee using eighteen scoops of budget priced coffee grounds per pot. Allow the pot to simmer
5 hours before drinking.
32. Have someone under the age of ten give you a haircut with sheep shears.
33. Sew the back pockets of your jeans on the front.
34. Every couple of weeks dress up in your best cloths and go to the scummiest part of town. Find
the most rundown trashiest bar. Drink beer until you are hammered. Walk all the way home.
35. Lock yourself and you family in the house for six weeks. Tell them that the end of the 6th week
you are going to take them to Disney World for "liberty". At the end of the 6th week, inform them
the trip to Disney World has been canceled because they need to get ready for an inspection, and it will
be another week before they can leave the house.